Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Surprising Challenge

Many times surprises occur when one goes into the woods. The surprise is often the sight of a beautiful deer or a red fox.

Recently, we arrived at the front gate of the driveway to the cabin and, to our surprise, a 12 inch in diameter balsom had been blown down and blocked the driveway.

It was 4:30 p.m. and it would be dark by 5:30 p.m. As we were surveying the situation, trying to decide how we were going to remove the tree, we heard this friendly voice. It was our neighbor who lives up the road. He had been hunting and had seen the fallen tree earlier in the day.

"Do you have a chainsaw?" he asked. "Yes, let's go get the saw from the garage." After putting gas and chainsaw oil into the chainsaw, we proceeded to remove the tree. My neighbor is a nice young man who loves the woods. He was very willing to help out.

He first worked on cutting off the branches. I grabbed the cut off branches and placed them into the woods away from the driveway. Soon, he started cutting the trunk into 16" to 18" pieces. These pieces were tossed into the woods and soon the tree was completely removed. All this was completed in about 30 minutes.

It's nice to have good neighbors who help with such surprises!

2 comments:

J.D. Scorpio said...

Hello Deer Tracks:
I like your cabin and the pictures. I always found that country folk are friendly as a rule, and are almost always ready and willing to help when needed.
And as a country boy myself, I hereby invite you for a visit to my blog. And please leave a comment to let me know what you think of it, Thanks in advance…..JD

Shelley said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog and will continue to check back. I love reading blogs where others share my same interests of log cabins and the great outdoors. Our log cabin should be done in the next 30 days.
www.logcabininimichigan.blogspot.com.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin